Sunday, November 1, 2009

Work and/or life

Finding the right balance between work and life is an unavoidable exercise every family goes through. What works for one is an absolute no-no for the other. I just read this article (sorry, am not able to link it)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/2009/nov/01/gaby-hinsliff-quits-working-motherhood

and it reminded of the question I have asked myself so many times, so what is this life after all, if we can't spare time for loved ones? Then to counter I ask then why does anyone work at all?

Work is strangely like a 'friend' to me, I go to work and it is always there, makes me feel appreciated, engages me, introduces me to new people, rewards me in many ways and of course it has a claim on my time and energy. No denying that there are times when I wish I could chuck it all out of the window and sit at home but without work I will be lonely, I know that. I remember a phase in my life when I was extremely happy and unhappy at the same time. While I had a life, I had no work. It was so weird, almost like a split personality.

I think working and having a life are not mutually exclusive. The essential ingredient is an understanding and supportive family, willing to share you with your work.

No comments: