Saturday, October 17, 2009

Bombing the D-day

The day started with a bang, literally. To be factually correct it started with a bang-bang-bang-bang..... Some diwali fanatic's successful attempt to let the world within 2 km radius around him know the exact number representative of his well developed IQ at 5:00 in the morning. And then Mayhem followed. People! Anyhow, I didn't let my annoyance come in the way of trying out some grenades myself. Aha, you see diwali has got to be celebrated in style.

RRS had insisted that if I plan to do any frying for diwali then it should include that alu chop kind of thing he had the first time he came to my then home. Ma had very sweetly prepared a bunch of them, and my father in his characteristic appreciative style announced their arrival on the table " Oh here come the famous grenades". New to our family, RRS's usual equanimity received a severe jolt and he looked pretty much ready to bolt. For a fleeting moment he felt perhaps this was some kind of planned attack on him by disgruntled parents for showing undue interest in their daughter. And then he saw the 'grenades', and the whiff of fried alu reached him, his hand automatically reached for one. A few of them and he was completely sold to the grenade launching family.

So like the dutiful wife I am, I got the recipe from my mother and the morning was well spent rolling the alu mash balls in bread covering to be fried later in the evening. What else: making some gojas (recipe from my cousin), chole is ready, some bought sweets and some crackers. Very determined to wear a silk saree (have been doing every diwali for last 4 years!) which hasn't seen the light of the day for last ten years. That is our Diwali this time. Formally invited only students, a bit anxious about that. Somehow still not comfortable with the whole idea. I guess I will survive. Hopes are friends will drop in later and it will all end very well. Happy Diwali to you all!

No comments: