Thursday, October 1, 2009

Friendly firing

Is it okay to keep mum when you disagree with your friend? Is it okay to ignore the feeling that you know why they are having the problem they are talking about and don't say anything as it might hurt them. It is difficult to know when a friend wants just a listener (always?) and when a solution provider (never?). Any chit-chat lasting more than exchanging pleasantaries results in at least one of the situations mentioned above. What does one do?

I guess it depends on what the topic of discussion is, how you present your case and of course the gender of your friend. By hit and trial it seems that it is safer to stay clear of making any comments other than positive on the beliefs and views of my friends about their religion, profession, spouses, children and family. Yes we still manage to find somethings to talk about! Since I am rather free with my opinion or fundas on every other thing, it requires certain level of guard. A slip here and there and one can end up hurting friends quite unintentionally.

3 comments:

kenny said...

I really hope my comment goes through today. Been meaning to say 'Nice Blog' for the longest time....

Bannu said...

kenny, thanks for your kind comment, specially considering you have received a black eye not so long ago. That was definitely a case of 'friendly boxing' that we often engage in the name of BB.

Preeti Aghalayam aka kbpm said...

you know that my only regret about the black eye was that it was soo... subtle.. and not easily visible unless i stuck my face 1 cm from others.
(call me crazy!).
during those golden old days, we had renamed Girls BB as BrB for Bar room Brawl!!