Monday, March 29, 2010

Magically ours

The doctors sometimes touch on topics they rather not. RRJ and I were about done with our visit to the paediatrician which was largely spent discussing about the frequency of his vomits and colour of his potty and how I should collect some of it and rush to the labs with in half and hour or keep it in the fridge (!!) if we can't make it to the lab etc. when the doctor shifted her focus from RRJ to me. "So what about you, have you thought about a second child?" Of course we have thought about it and in a how-impossible-it-would-be kind of way. So I told her just that. "Don't do the mistake I did", "You had another one?" "No I didn't". It was rush hour in the clinic and we had to give way to the next patient so I couldn't really see if she winked after saying that or she really meant it.

I am sure what followed next happens to all parents and I am quite definite that they all are as unprepared as I was. So on our way back on scooter, RRJ was sitting in front of me, I was doing the breathing exercise I recently learned from a friend and there was a general lull in conversation as we scootered along.
"Amma, how did I suddenly come, was it like a magic?"
"Magic meaning?" Amma trying to buy some time there.
"You told I was born in 2005 and I was not there before, how did I come suddenly?"
"Haaan.... that? You came from my tummy?"
"Are you lying?" in a very stern voice.
"No I am not" Amma breaks in to a nervous giggle.
"Then how did I come in your tummy? Magically?"
Amma starts to laugh now, even though she does not like to laugh at people when they are not trying to be funny.
"Well, it was almost a magic"
"You are not telling me properly"
Amma parking the scooter,"so will you take medicine before or after the dosa?" Long live the art of distraction which again is something Amma is not too comfortable using. Clearly Amma needs to have a relook at her list of dislikes, there are far too many in there.

2 comments:

Preeti Aghalayam aka kbpm said...

but bannu you should just tell him! not fair! anyway i am sure he would have asked my monster. wonder what she thinks. should check with her.

Bannu said...

kbpm, you are right I guess I should. Never gave much thought to it. Will have to make lecture notes on baby making :) Let me know what you and monster discussed and concluded.