Friday, June 26, 2009

A Song for the Occasion

When I am doing some mundane thing on my own like walking from one place to another or chopping vegetables in the kitchen and I hear myself humming, it baffles me that how often the song is just so right for the mood I am in. It doesn’t require any conscious thought and yet it is bang on. Mostly the RJ cells of the brain use the limited and oft repeated selection but can sometimes pull up a few surprises too. Like a very long time ago, mid-way my summer internship in Bangalore I moved out of an oppressive environment to a PG, the next day in the factory, in a very filmy way I just burst into ‘aaj phir jeene kee tamanna hai’ with all the cigarette cutting machinery and assembly lines making the back ground score. It was not quite a cinematic or operatic performance but the spontaneity was a manifestation of the huge relief I felt within. I was surprised myself. The song was never my favourite and I don’t remember ever singing it before or after but being a regular ‘chitrahaar’ watcher perhaps I didn’t miss the euphoria Waheeda Rehman felt liberating her aanchal from all the kantas of her life.

Apparently the significance of my humming is not lost on RR senior either, as he has indicated in so many words that he is pretty terrified of my involuntary renditions of “yahi voh jagah hai, yahi voh fizaen, yaheen par kabhee aap hum se mile the”. According to him the tune spells nothing but trouble as he seems to find strong correlation between the specific tune and an impending fight. While I find it difficult to accept that people can read my mind that easily, I do have regard for strong experimental data. RR senior himself is one of those people who consider letting people know his emotions rather beneath himself, humming tunes most certainly ranks even lower. But sitting quietly with long calculations, papers strewn all around and a laptop for company even dignified people have momentary lapses when the results of the calculations seem to match the simulation of the laptop. At such moments RJ cells of his brain play the repeat of literally one and only, that too an original composition. Given the genetic history and we both being educationists, we are trying our best not to read too much into the frequent singing of “we don’t need no education” by the kid.

On a final note, until my “favourite” student does the honour of graduating, my anthem climbing down the steps from office after any meeting will remain“I have a dream, a song to sing, to help me cope, with everything” with emphasis on “cope with everything”.

4 comments:

chestnut said...

Dear Anu,

I know what you mean by situation-appropriate humming. i think it says something that I keep humming the following song, since I heard it many years ago, very often!
You tube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW6RRvUa7mA
Lyrics:
http://www.lyrics007.com/Meredith%20Brooks%20Lyrics/Bitch%20Lyrics.html

Lakshmi said...

Anu, I am sold on your blog. I am only sorry I did not come earlier. Expect one regular reader from now on.
Great style, great narration, Warm.

Anonymous said...

Anu: Good decision to express yourself through this medium. We shall now have a collection of nice and colorful anecdotes.

My conjecture that women are natural writers is getting strengthened.

Cheers,
Arunn

Bannu said...

chestnut: I liked the song too. The music video is very funny. Humming though will require me to give up my hesitation in using the B-word.

Lakshmi: Thanks for being so appreciative. As you already know I greatly enjoy your writings and follow your blog very regularly. Got the idea of blogging largely from you.

Arunn: It is indeed a nice medium to express oneself. Let us see where the blog goes from here. I like your conjecture and wouldn't mind at all if you are proven right.