Wednesday, April 27, 2011

The Cal-factor

Even the second time around 'Calcutta Chromosome' remains largely incomprehensible. The good thing was that I hardly remembered anything from the earlier read other than I hadn't got it last time. So thoroughly enjoyed the engaging style of story-telling for most of it except when characters started merging into each other indiscriminately.

Must admit the ending was pretty dissatisfying, too sophisticated for me to understand I guess. Someone please explain to me what happens to Murugan so that I can sleep peacefully.

2 comments:

Ludwig said...

It's an outstandingly readable book, as you say, tremendously enjoyable. My third favourite (or fourth) Ghosh book (after The Hungry Tide and In An Antique Land). But I also agree that it's not the easiest to parse the first time around.

Now you've made me want to read it again, I've actually forgotten what happens to Murugan! You may have to wait longer to sleep peacefully...

Bannu said...

Ludwig, the only other book of AG that I have read is The Glass Palace, which I thought was nice but not half as exciting.

Will greatly appreciate if the mystery of what happens to Murugan gets resolved.