Monday, January 25, 2010

Chance pe dance

"Jhoom baraabar jhoom baraabar...." sang Shankar Mahadevan and I sat listening, tapping my toes to the beats while hundreds danced all around. Yes, the same me who has been craving to have a dance party for the longest of times. Now, if you know me you will not hesitate to agree that I am not exactly the partying kind. One who appreciates the night life of a big city and given a chance would go for discotheque-hopping all night but that surely doesn't disqualify me from having a thing for flinging my limbs around to a catchy tune. Tapping my toes I was wishing I had short sight or a terrible memory for faces so that the people all around were just a blurred mass of humanity. No students, no colleagues, no specifics please just a general blurred mass of humanity.

Songs passed by, frenetic tapping continued. Then it was that quick look at watch which told me it is now or (whe)never. Naheen naheen... yeh naheen ho sakta....I ran to the dancing zone like Jaya Prada hearing the dafali and joined the gals, that was it. I was transported to the days of open air discotheques of IITK dancing to 'humma humma', navratri-dandiya in Pune, dancing with friends in our kutti flatlet in TIFR, ceilidhs in Glasgow. RRJ also joined us after some time while kurta clad RRS couldn't be stirred out of his seat. Only until much to RRS's relief RRJ declared the need for attending nature's call, the big one. No outing is ever complete without that. While the boys made their way there was no stopping us. It was fun to have fun and just in time I knew how.

2 comments:

Preeti Aghalayam aka kbpm said...

Jaya Pradha! That was a funny image!
I owe you a dance party eh? You have to bring the music though, I don't think I have stuff you will like.

Bannu said...

kbpm, dance party? Any time. Don't worry about the music, I have no preferences. Have been learning all these years how to dance on other's tunes ;)